Sunday, January 31, 2010

Monochrome Study - Costumed Model


In a local open studio offered by PAOA, I practiced a monochrome study using the "sight-size" technique. Approx 3 hours of work and I feel it still needs quite a bit of tweaking. I did add a little color to the skin areas and some white on the highlights.I used burnt umber on a 14"x18" linen canvas. When I prepared my canvas with a wash of burnt umber the previous day, I used Artisan oils with the Artisan thinner. This was a mistake. When I attempted to remove paint to achieve the highlights, it did not come off easily or at all. I should have used water for the wash. It is a learning experience working with water-misible oils. (Below) a photo of the in-progress painting with model set to size.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! I've seen wonderful improvements in your work and in Mona's. Looks like the PAOA is accomplishing much of what you set out to do. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna!!! It's been fun selecting models and getting to choose costuming themes and everyone seems to enjoy it so much. Working from life is so important and I need to do it more often.

    ReplyDelete