Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day One of My Challenge - getting started


Great start!! Today I finished a portrait I started a couple months ago and have been procrastinating the completion...it is a family portrait of my nephew, wife, and son. I am counting it as 3 portraits. As usual, it has turned out to be a challenge in itself. I seem to take on monumental tasks, get frustrated, and many times not finish! (Like my writing attempts at novels and screenplays)

This particular portrait is my first attempt at doing 3 subjects in the same work. Done in a relatively new technique for me "trois crayons" (3 colors) black and white charcoal, and sanguine conte'. I did the original photography myself in my studio with natural light coming from the only window, which thankfully is on the North side of my house. It is a composite of 2 poses, basically I copied and pasted a better facial expression of little Eugene. The size is 18"x23" done on a grayish beige Canson Pastel Paper. It is also the largest portrait drawing I've ever done.

I have to say I am proud of myself for finally getting into the studio and finishing this!! :) Now onto the next assignment...not sure yet which one it shall be, I have several concepts in mind.

Days to go: 364
Portraits to do: 347

No comments:

Post a Comment