Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pastel of Nala

Cute little doggie belonging to a friend. This is pastel on velour paper about 8"x11" The challenge is a reference photo where much of the defining features are in shadow. Animal art is another whole skill set as I've mentioned before. I admire the work of Lesley Harrison and have her book "Painting Animals that touch the heart". She is a master at pastel on velour and wildlife and an inspiration to me.

On this, I worked on a gray velour using 3 different pastels, hard pencil pastel and Nupastel and soft pastel.

updated with final 11:01pm

2 comments:

  1. It looks great. You captured the detail of her face perfectly. Nala has amazing details in the angle of her eyes and she is constantly turning her head to an angle in attempts to communicate with me. You did wonderful on this one.

    ReplyDelete