Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Portrait of Max - Updated


Updated 12/19/09: Took critique comments and filled in the background. It does look much better and more finished.

Another "pet" portrait, this is of my Mom's late poochie, Max. The sweetest little fellow you'd every know...we miss him terribly. I did this as a vignette, though I'm not sure I like it. Possibly the shape of the canvas was not the right choice: a 12x18. I think it might have been better on something square.? Opinions desired. Or, should I just paint in the entire background?? At any rate, it is what it is for now. I may go back later and make some changes. Doing a white dog is a challenge that's for sure :)

3 comments:

  1. I think the problem is that you centered the form on a rectangular canvas. This works better on a square canvas, especially when the form is basically circular, like this one. If it were less centered vertically, It might look a little better. I really like the leaves coming out of the vignette. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda. Do you think it would help if I carried the green grass a little higher at the top?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a square cavas would be better. Also finish the background, nothing bothers me more than an unfinished background.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete