Wednesday, September 16, 2009

3 Pencil Sketches

There is one thing to draw from a photo, another thing to draw from a model who is not moving...to drawing from people who are constantly moving. I have never really tried to draw a likeness of someone that is moving. This is my first attempt. I think two of them are ok (upper left and lower right). They were done while watching movies. What I discovered is that I was forced to really look at the person and pick out the features that make them uniquely "them"...e.g. Goldie Hawn ("Bird on a Wire") and Julia Roberts (Erin Brokovich") both have distinctive mouths. The third one, Kate Winslet ("Sense and Sensibility") has distinctive eyebrows. I had wanted to go out into the public like the mall or a park and do this from strangers, but I am unfortunately coming down with a cold :( I enjoyed this exercise and will do more of these. Obviously I need a LOT more practice. It will be interesting to see my progress from the first ones to months from now. I believe this will really up the ante on how quickly I can capture likeness.

Days to go: 333
Portraits to do: 341

2 comments:

  1. You've captured their features very well. Ought to be awesome with a little more practice!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna. I think you are the only person posting comments...I truly appreciate your input!! :)

    ReplyDelete