Sunday, September 6, 2009

Stage 2 - Portrait #4 - Lady Fraser "after" Raeburn

Stage 2 is the first round of glazes. I am using walnut oil as my glazing medium. I had never heard of it before until earlier this year while painting at one of our PAOA Portrait Studio Sessions. A fellow member artist, Linda Fox, gave me a little sample of it. I love it! Thanks Linda! Oh btw, Linda is giving a painting demo at our next Portrait Artists of Arizona meeting September 26th, 2009.

It is amazing how we notice things in a photo of our artwork we just can't see with our naked eye. Although this stage is looking pretty good, I can see many flaws I wish to correct. The hair is not completed, there are some mis-alignments, and edges and facial shadows to be softened. Of course the background is not completed. Still much to do, but I should have it finished in the next session. I think this is little too small for me to work in. My near vision isn't as good as it used to be. I need one of those craft magnifiers!! Not kidding! The photo I took of the original painting while at the Philadelphia Museum of Art is posted in this earlier post go here

I really am enjoying working on this painting. I would like to do some period portraits much like Liliedahl and Weistling do. I need to start developing a costume wardrobe for posing my subjects in more classical settings.

1 comment:

  1. You're getting better and better! Sure hope you see some commissions soon.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete