Wednesday, September 2, 2009

No. 4 - Portrait of Lady Catherine Fraser - Sir Henry Raeburn - 1816


I thought I would post my progress so far. This photo shows both the 8.5x11 photo I am working on (right) and the 9x12 canvas mounted panel (left). First challenge - - I HATE the panel I chose to work on!! I really should have put a couple of coats of gesso over it. It is too textured for the size and amount of detail I am attempting to do :( oh well...will have to remember that or buy a panel with a very smooth surface. I am trying to use what I already have in my studio...and some things are experimental. I am following a classical style technique, using a grisaille for the figure. Couldn't stand it with just the gray background so went ahead and applied some colored underpainting. It gives it a little more life. I like what I have started so far, but now need to let it dry before applied glazes. Soooooooooooooooooooooooo...guess I should either start another oil, or do some sketches... :) Let me know your thoughts on what I've done so far.

Comments are greatly appreciated!!!

Days to go: 362
Portraits to do: 347

No comments:

Post a Comment